Winter Boat Storage Tips
Posted on: August 20, 2018 | by: admin
While it may seem like summer just started, fall is nearly here! Unfortunately for boat owners, this means it’s time to start preparing your boat for winter storage. While winters in California and Florida generally tend to be mild, that doesn’t mean you don’t have to winterize your boat. Try out these winter storage tips and keep your boat safe during the off-season!
Boat Storage Tips for the Winter
- Create a Boat Winterizing List: Forgetting a step when winterizing your boat can result in very expensive repairs. Create a list of all of the things you need to do before you can store your boat.
- Always Check the Owner’s Manual: Before you follow any of these tips, check with the owner’s manual. Different kinds of boats will require different levels of care, and it is important that your boat receives any required treatment.
- Give the Boat a Thorough Cleaning: Before storing your boat for the winter, clean all surfaces of the boat very thoroughly. Any sea grime, sand or other debris left on your boat can damage it during storage. Once the boat has been cleaned, apply a protective wax seal.
- Address Required Maintenance: If you notice your boat needs maintenance, get it taken care of now. The worst thing you can do for your boat is to let the issue go until next spring. By then, the issue can have worsened, and you may have a more expensive problem on your hands. Addressing required boat maintenance in the fall also allows you to miss the busy spring season for boat repair shops.
- Do a Fuel Treatment: Add a fuel stabilizer to your fuel. Once the fuel stabilizer has been added, run the engine for 10 to 15 minutes to make sure that the fuel is able to circulate all throughout the engine.
- Fog the Engine Cylinders: Fogging the engine cylinders will prevent corrosion from forming inside of the engine. Spray the fogging-solution straight into the air intake until the solution is gone.
- Change the Boat Oil: Before storing your boat, change the oil. If you don’t change the oil, the moisture can result in wear and tear, which can lead to poor fuel economy and potential engine failure.
- Cover the Boat for Storage: Keep your boat covered during the off-season. When deciding what kind of boat cover to purchase, choose one recommended by your boat manufacturer.
Boat Storage Solutions in Florida and California
When you live in Florida and California, it can be hard to find a location to store your boat during the off-season. While you may be able to get away with storing your boat in your driveway between boating trips, Homeowner’s Associations will often set rules against doing it during the long off-season. Lighthouse Self Storage has boat storage solutions near you in California and Florida. Reserve your boat storage unit today!