Top 5 Features to Look For in a Self-Storage Facility in West Palm Beach
Posted on: November 7, 2019 | by: admin
Storage units are not created equally and if you live in a place with extreme weather, such as West Palm Beach, there are certain crucial features to look for. It isn’t enough to simply rent a space that is large enough to hold all your belongings, you also need to consider security, climate control, and location. These things are not merely for the sake of convenience or peace of mind, they ensure that your belongings are kept safe from all sorts of damage and theft.
Top 5 Features of a Self-Storage
If you are looking to rent a space in a self-storage facility in West Palm Beach, you’ll want to consider these 5 essential features:
Check for Climate Control
One of the most important features to look for when renting a self-storage unit in Florida is excellent climate control technology. The storage facility should be able to keep your unit at an optimal temperature year-round as well as maintain normal levels of humidity.
A climate-controlled facility will greatly reduce the risk of mold from growing or excessive heat damaging temperature-sensitive objects.
If you are planning on storing any of the following objects in a storage unit, they should definitely be kept in a climate-controlled environment.
- Books, photographs, and documents: Anything paper object is going to be susceptible to water damage from excess moisture. These items often have significant or sentimental value and you shouldn’t have to risk their condition by storing them in a poorly maintained facility.
If you are keeping business documents in the storage unit, it is imperative that there is climate control so that important receipts and documents remain in good condition.
Read More: 5 Tips for Keeping Documents in Self-Storage
- Instruments: It is no secret that instruments are expensive investments, and they are also delicate and fragile. Instruments with wood or strings are especially at risk of damage from being improperly stored.
- Artwork: Have you ever noticed that museums and art galleries tend to be on the chilly side? That’s because artwork of any medium is unique and precious. Due to the nature of paintings and sculptures, unregulated temperatures can lead to erosion or damage to color and texture.
- Wood and leather furniture: Both wood and leather are vulnerable to temperature and moisture damage. Both materials warp when too much moisture is in the air. If you’re planning on storing any type of furniture, it’s a good idea to ensure that the facility is properly climate-controlled.
Pick a Location Away From Bodies of Water
Anyone who lives in West Palm Beach knows that the risk of heavy rains, storms, and even hurricanes can happen every year. This can lead to flooding and extensive water damage.
If you’re planning to put your things in storage, the location of the facility is an important feature. Even if it means a slightly longer drive, you should consider renting a storage unit away from beaches, lakes, or areas that have flooded in recent years. This will minimize the likelihood of severe water damage.
If you are unable to find a convenient location away from the beach, find a unit with high ceilings. This will enable you to stack your belongings, so you can place the most valuable objects high above the floor.
Insure Your Belongings
Many storage facilities will now offer to insure your belongings at an extra cost. This is an excellent option if you have to store any valuable furniture or objects because insurance will provide you with peace of mind.
Bear in mind that your storage facility’s insurance will only cover you for a certain amount of money that may not fully compensate you for the entire value of your possessions. If you want additional protection, look into an independent insurance agent who will likely have comprehensive insurance options to choose from.
Invest in Strong Security
A well-secured facility is essential to keeping your belongings safe and well looked after. Opt for a modern facility that will provide you with more than just a lock on the door to your unit. You should look for a facility that also provides at least a few of the following:
- Individual alarm system for every unit
- On-site security or monitoring team
- A comprehensive security camera system that is closely supervised
Not only will these features keep your unit protected, but it also demonstrates that the facility managers care about their customers and want to do right by you.
Ask About Storage for Vehicles
West Palm Beach is known for its vibrant waterfront and beautiful scenery so it’s no surprise that many residents look for a place to store boats, trucks, and RVs.
While it might seem risky to leave your vehicle away from home for long periods, some storage facilities have put in special features to look after your vehicles.
Usually, they will provide special parking places designed for boats and large motor vehicles, which are monitored closely by security teams and cameras.
Read More: Winter Boat Storage Tips
See the Place in Person
When you are deciding on a storage facility, it is a very good idea to visit it in person before signing any contract or putting money down. While the website might represent your ideal storage unit, it can sometimes be misleading.
When you visit in person, you can evaluate if your storage needs will actually be met. Keep an eye out for signs of water damage on the walls and doors, the number of security cameras on the premises, and the quality of construction.
Once you’ve gone in person, you will be fully informed of how good the unit is and can feel comfortable leaving your belongings there.