Prepping for Long-Term Storage
Posted on: January 24, 2018 | by: admin
The amount of work it takes to prepare your items for storage varies depending on the length of time you are planning on storing your items. Preparing to store your items for a shorter length of time is generally an easier process than preparing your items for a longer period of storage.
Should I Rent a Climate Controlled Storage Unit for My Long-Term Storage?
If you are storing your items long-term, it is a smart idea to rental a climate controlled storage unit. This is especially true if you are storing more sensitive items or are unable to check up on your storage unit very often.
The Best Tips for Long-Term Storage
- Use Pallets or a Canvas Tarp: Overtime, moisture from the ground can seep up from the storage unit floor and damage your items. In order to prevent this from happening, use pallet boards or a canvas tarp to create a barrier.
- Create a List of the Items in Your Storage Unit: As you load your items into your storage unit rental, make a list of the items you are storing. With a long-term storage rental, it can be incredibly easy to forget which items you are storing in your storage unit. Creating a list detailing the items you are storing will save you some time when you go to retrieve items later on.
- Clean Out all Appliances: Before storing any appliance, scrub it down with a baking soda or bleach solution. Bacteria thrives in dark and moist places. Using a baking soda or bleach scrub can help to kill off any bacteria before it can grow. Keep all appliance doors cracked during storage to prevent moisture from getting trapped inside of the appliance.
- Clean off all Furniture: Before storing your furniture, use a vacuum cleaner to remove any pet hair or crumbs. Apply furniture polish to the wood on your furniture to seal out moisture and slow down the formation of mold or mildew. Cover all upholstery with clean cotton sheets to prevent dust from settling.
- Use Proper Storage Material: When storing items long-term, avoid storing them in plastic bags. Instead, store your items in new sturdy boxes. In order to cut back on costs and be environmentally friendly, many people will ask a local grocery store for their old boxes. This isn’t a smart solution for long-term storage because the boxes may have food remnants.
Are You Looking for Long-Term Self Storage Solutions?
Lighthouse Self Storage has storage locations in Fort Lauderdale, FL, Homestead, FL, Carson, CA, Oceanside, CA, Westminster, CA, and Whittier, CA. Our storage facilities have both traditional storage units and climate controlled storage unit options in a variety of sizes. Are you interested in learning more about a storage unit rental with Lighthouse Self Storage? Contact us today!