Garage Organization Tips to Prepare for Summer
Posted on: April 20, 2018 | by: admin
Although it seems like spring just started, summer will be here before we know it! Along with summer comes water balloon fights, ball games and other outdoor activities. But, nothing puts a damper on summer activities like not being able to find the outdoor equipment you are looking for. And let’s face it, who wants to spend time digging around and organizing their garage when the weather is nice? Spend more time enjoying the summer weather and less time digging through your garage by trying out these garage organization ideas!
Garage Organization Ideas for a More Organized Summer
- Clean Your Garage: Take advantage of your garage being empty and give it a thorough cleaning. Sweep all leaves, dirt and mulch that has been tracked inside your garage back outside. Scrub the floors using a solution of soap and water. Use sawdust to soak up any oil stains you may have. Once the garage has been cleaned, leave the garage door open and allow it to air dry.
- Sort Through Your Items: While many of the items in your garage are still getting used and you definitely want to keep them around, there may be some that you’re able to get rid of. Sort through all of the items in your garage and put them into piles labeled “keep”, “sell”, “donate” and “throw out”. Consider hosting a garage sale to get rid of the items in the “sell” pile. This can help you to make a little extra cash to afford new organizers for your garage, like shelving and cabinets.
- Plan Before You Place: Create a rough layout of where you’d like to store different categories of items in your garage. For example, leave a space for hanging lawn tools, sporting equipment, car equipment and gardening tools.
- Know What to Keep Out of Your Garage: There are some items that should not be stored in your garage. Pet food should never be stored in your garage because it provides a ready snack to any critters that may get in. Due to safety reasons, paint and gas tanks should also never be stored in your garage.
- Organize as You Go: Once your garage has been organized, don’t stop there! Continuing to organize throughout the months will be your best chance of keeping your garage from becoming disheveled again. Keep your garage organized by penciling in an hour to clean up your garage every month.
Lighthouse Self Storage Has Garage Storage Solutions
Are you still running out of space in your garage? Create more space in your garage by utilizing a storage unit. A self storage unit can be used to store seasonal items or items that aren’t used as often.
Lighthouse Self Storage has storage facilities in Whittier, CA, Westminster, CA, Oceanside, CA, Carson, CA, Homestead, FL, Fort Lauderdale, FL, Cooper City, FL and West Palm Beach, FL.
Are you interested in learning more about a storage unit rental with Lighthouse Self Storage? Contact us to a rent a storage unit today!