Do I Need Climate Controlled Storage for my Items?
Posted on: January 12, 2018 | by: admin
In most cases, a standard storage unit will meet your storage needs. When you are storing more sensitive items though, it is necessary to utilize a climate controlled storage unit. Unlike a standard storage unit, a climate controlled storage unit will protect your items from fluctuations in temperature.
Items that Require Climate Controlled Storage
If you are storing any of these items, consider a climate controlled storage unit rental.
- Electronics: Electronics can be easily damaged by fluctuations in temperature and should not be stored in a standard storage unit. Fluctuations in temperature can cause the internal wiring to short out or the screens of the electronics to become warped. In order to protect your electronics from fluctuations in temperature, utilize a climate controlled storage unit.
- Leather or Wooden Furniture: Overtime, fluctuations in temperature can be detrimental to your leather or wooden furniture. When wood is exposed to fluctuations in temperature, it expands and contrast. Overtime, this can cause the wood to crack or become warped. Similarly, fluctuations in temperature can cause leather to crack.
- Antiques: Due to the age of the item, antiques are already much more fragile than comparable items that are not antiques. When storing antiques, a climate controlled storage unit can be the difference between having the items for future years, and your antiques becoming irreversibly damaged during storage.
- Wine: In order to protect the quality of your wine, it is necessary to store it in a dark location, free from fluctuations in temperature. Ideally, wine should be stored at a temperature between 45 and 65 degrees. Wine that isn’t stored within this range of temperature can age prematurely. Additionally, the corks inside of the wine bottle can dry out, and ruining the wine by exposing it to air.
- Appliances: Any appliance, such as a washer or dryer, microwave or refrigerator, require climate controlled storage. A climate controlled storage unit will protect appliances from cracking and rusting.
- Musical Instruments: Anyone who plays a musical instrument knows how delicate they can be. One bump or ding, and the instrument will be out of tune. Just like fluctuations in temperature can cause wooden furniture to crack and warp, it can do the same with wooden furniture. Over time, some of the materials found in brass or woodwind instruments can dry out and break down.
Are You Interested in Renting or Learning More About a Climate Controlled Storage Unit?
Lighthouse Self Storage has storage facilities in Whittier, CA, Westminster, CA, Carson, CA, Fort Lauderdale, FL and Miami, FL with climate controlled storage unit options. Our storage units range in sizes, so no matter how big or small your storage need is, we have you covered. So, whether you need, a smaller 5×4 self storage unit for wine, or a larger 10×5 self storage unit for antique furniture, Lighthouse Self Storage has storage options perfect for your unique storage needs. Contact us today!