Boat Maintenance Tips for the Summer
Posted on: June 29, 2018 | by: admin
There’s nothing like spending the day out on the boat. Water skiing, tubing and swimming with family and friends is one of the best ways to spend a summer day. But before you can spend the day out on the ocean or lake, it is important to prepare your boat for the season ahead. In this post, we’ll cover how to prepare your boat for boating season!
Get Ready for Boating Season Using These Boat Maintenance Meetings
- Give Your Boat A Thorough Visual Inspection: Check the hill of the boat for any damage that may have occurred while in storage. This can be holes, punctures or cracks. If you notice any damage, get it repaired as soon as possible.
- Wash and Clean the Boat: Before putting your boat in the water, wash it. If your boat is a fiberglass boat, it is recommended that you also wax it every year. Waxing will prevent dirt buildup and make the boat easier to clean after each use.
- Inspect the Mechanics of the Boat: Before using your boat for the season, check the oil. Replace spark plugs and any hoses that are cracked or damaged. Check all filters and belts and replace if need be.
- Check the Boat’s Navigation Lights: Check your boat’s lights to make sure they are in good condition. If the bulbs are dim, corroded or the glass is loose, replace the bulbs. Keep spare bulbs on board for each type of light. Don’t forget to also check the wiring of the lights. If the wiring is corroded or in poor condition, take the boat to get it replaced.
- Inspect Life Jackets: Don’t forget about life jacket care! It is very important to ensure your safety equipment is in good condition. Before boating season, check the life jackets to ensure they are the right size for your passengers.
- Test the Trailer: To ensure safety on the road, it is important that you test the brakes and turn signal lights on your trailer. Grease the wheel bearings to keep them in the best condition all summer long. While you’re greasing the wheel bearings, inspect the tires on the trailer for signs of damage. Replace the tires if needed.
Covered Boat Storage Units in Florida and California
Between boating trips, you may be looking for a location to store your boat. If you need to store a boat, consider a self storage unit. Lighthouse Self Storage has storage facilities in Whittier, CA, Carson, CA, Westminster, CA, Oceanside, CA, West Palm Beach, FL, Fort Lauderdale, FL and Homestead, FL, ready to meet your storage needs. Contact us to rent a storage unit today!