30 Day Moving Countdown
Posted on: May 5, 2020 | by: Sargena Narsa
Moving is an exciting, yet stressful change in life. Between planning, packing, and paying for extra expenses, moving can be a dreadful process. But don’t worry, Lighthouse Self Storage is here to make the process easier for you. Follow our 30 day checklist to make moving a breeze.
1. 30-Day Notice. Give your landlord a written 30-day notice.
2. Schedule Movers/Truck. Since rates increase the closer you get to your moving date, find a moving company in advance and be sure to get quotes and make a reservation.
3. Buy Packaging Material. Get your packaging supplies as soon as possible. This way, you can start packing as soon as possible and not wait until the final days in your home.
4. Clean Out Junk Drawers. Begin to declutter your junk drawers and get rid of items that aren’t being used anymore. After you finish, organize the items that remain.
5. Pack Infrequently Used Items. Begin with packing non-essential items. This includes seasonal items that aren’t used on a day-to-day basis that could be stored in your garage, backyard, or basement.
6. Pack Unused Rooms. Start clearing out rooms that aren’t being used, like the guestroom, loft, and office.
7. Organize Documents. Organize all of your personal and financial documents in one box to keep avoid misplacing anything.
8. Clean Out Your Closet. Begin cleaning out your closets by packing items that aren’t frequently used, such as, seasonal clothing, shoes, and accessories.
9. Label Everything. Since boxes can get misplaced during the moving process, it’s important to keep an inventory list of your belongings by labeling and numbering all of the boxes.
10. Contact Utility Companies. Review the agreements with your utility companies and notify them of your upcoming move to transfer or switch providers.
11. Change Internet, Phone & Cable. Transfer these services to your new home. Since these services provide loaner devices, find out which items need to be returned or switched.
12. Clean Out Garage. Start eliminating non-essential items by discarding, donating, recycling, or selling items that aren’t needed anymore.
13. Pack Items in Storage. Start packaging the items in your storage unit and prepare to transfer them to a new unit in your area.
14. Find a Local Storage Unit. Before moving, be sure to find a local self-storage unit and reserve your unit in advance.
15. Donate Items. After cleaning out your closet, gather old clothes that you don’t wear anymore and donate them.
16. Update New Address. Change the address on all of your subscriptions, credit cards, banks, etc. Be sure to notify the DMV of your updated address.
17. Clean Out Pantry. Discard or donate items in your pantry that aren’t needed anymore.
18. Transfer Medical Records. Research local doctors and dentists in the new area and transfer your medical records to them. Don’t forget to refill prescriptions.
19. Clean Out Backyard. Clear out the backyard and recycle unwanted items.
20. Clean Out Fridge. Get rid of items in the fridge that are no longer needed or expired. Start eliminating clutter, so you can make your moving day easier.
21. Take Down Paintings. Remove paintings and wall art. If your art is valuable, pack each piece separately.
22. Have a Garage Sale. Sell all of the items that aren’t needed anymore by having a garage sale. This will give you a chance to eliminate clutter and make extra cash.
23. Pack Dishes. Carefully package your dishes and utensils in bubble wrap.
24. Pack Fragile Items. Organize and carefully pack fragile items in your home, such as, fine china and antiques. To avoid damage that could be caused by movers or moving trucks, you should move these items yourself.
25. Pack a “First Night Kit”. Pack the essential basics that you’ll need for the first night in your new home, like blankets, bathroom supplies, clothes, utensils, and food.
26. Pack Bathroom Items. After putting together an essential “first night kit,” you can pack all toiletries and bathroom supplies.
27. Defrost Fridge. If you’re moving out of town, it’s recommended to defrost your fridge and avoid water leakage during moving.
28. Heavy-duty Cleaning. After everything is packed, complete a walk-through of your home and clean the appliances, carpet/floor, counters, etc.
29. Repaint & Patch Walls/Doors. Do a walk-through of your home and repaint/patch areas of the house that need touching up.
30. Moving Day!
We hope this guide helps you stay organized and productive Remember to take one step a day to ensure that you have a stress-free move. Good luck and have a great move!